The training is aimed at the core team (GP lead, Management lead, all the non-clinical staff likely to be involved with coding). When working with a practice, locality or CCG we can tailor elements of the half day to ensure any particular needs are addressed.
Optimising Document Workflow
Half Day Course
- Introduction and aims
- Exercise Starting Point. What’s working vs challenges in your current document management.
- Context – why now, case studies, sustainability. The evidence and GP5YFV
- A description of the system – Read; Code; Action; Communicate; Allocate
- Outcomes for patients, clinicians, staff and practices
- A Needs assessment – How to Assess your current system
- Staff & resources – Skills, daily commitment, time to introduce and support needed
- A toolkit for Improving document workflow – developing systems for
- filing documents without clinician input at all
- Coding data from documents
- undertaking actions identified within letters (Investigations, follow up, referrals, medication changes)
- When to forward letters to a GP, how to communicate actions.
- Presentation with discussion of a video-clip of people talking about their experiences in a successful system (GP, manager, coder)
- Coding and Actions – options
- Exercise to identify the risks and benefits of these systems
- How to mitigate risks
- Governance – GP champion, protocols for specific documents, reviewing the process, how to “register” your system with a Defence Union.
- Building a supportive (ever improving) environment – open, two directional learning and feedback.
- Monitoring and Continuous Quality Improvement. We outline the vital role of monitoring, feedback and regular review – typically be one or two people who are held to account for it.
- Developing your practice action plan. The last phase of the day is devoted to developing a SMART action plan for implementation/moving forward.
A course pack for all participants includes
- A course workbook; acting as a workbook on the day and a reference for later
- Resources to support toolkit
- “Coding template”. The “top 200” conditions and their codes. A template for the practice to build a practice-specific policy onto.
- Document decision making – filing/action/code/GP view/pharmacist etc
- Coding process (including QOF/LES/DES requirements)
- Communication resources
- A template for developing and recording a governance process